I didn’t know what World Book Night was when I moved to the UK two years ago, but I found the idea of it to be terribly exciting. Basically, inspired readers go out into the night and hand out copies of pre-selected books, donated by publishers, to reluctant or non readers. What could be better, right? As for the WORLD part of World Book Night, well it only takes place in the United Kingdom and United States. That’s probably why I didn’t know about it.
While united in the cause of spreading the love of reading, the UK and US have a different selection of books to hand out. On the UK side I am particularly excited by the following books.
- The Humans by Matt Haig
- The Perfect Murder by Peter James
- The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne
- The Boy with the Top Knot by Sathnam Sanghera
On the American side of things, I want to give a shout out to my blogging compatriots. Way to go book lovers!
- The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell – Allison at The Book Wheel is handing this one out.
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford – Rebecca at Love at First Book loves this book.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs – Handed out by Helen at My Novel Opinion
- Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple – to be given out by Traveling With T, Melissa at Avid Reader’s Musings and Jennifer at The Relentless Reader.
- Wild by Cheryl Strayed – I know Shannon at River City Reading and Leah at Books Speak Volumes are handing this one out.
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain – Andi at Estella’s Revenge will be spreading the love with this one.
Good luck to all and if you have a World Book Night story you’d like to share I’d love to hear about it!