What I’ve been reading:
- A God in Every Stone by Kamila Shamsie
- The Rise and Fall of Great Powers by Tom Rachman
- Unruly Places by Alastair Bonnett
- Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie
- The Visionist by Rachel Urquhart
- Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe
- All That is Solid Melts into Air by Darragh McKeon
- The Death of Bees by Lisa O’Donnell *best book of the month*
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Additional books reviewed:
- The Visitors by Sally Beauman
- The Bust DIY Guide to Life by Debbie Stoller and Laurie Henzel
- A Death in Duck by Mindy Quigley
Other blog posts
- Wigtown – Scotland’s National Book Town
- Shiny New Books and Me
- Cover Wars: How To Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia
You had a great month! I can’t wait to see what you thought about All That Is Solid Melts Into Air (which I loved) and We Have Always Lived in the Castle (because I’ve always wanted to read it).
Both book i rate as good, but not great. You’ll have to wait to see why. Right now I’m reading ALL THE LIGHT YOU CANNOT SEE. Magical. I can’t believe i was resistant to reading it!
High praise for The Death of Bees!
Indeed. It was exactly what I needed.
So many great books and so many droolworthy covers!
Wow, you read a ton of books in July! I just scrolled down to read your review of the Tom Rachman book because I think it’ll be up next for me (right now I’m reading Everything I Never Told You). I have it out from the library and it sounds like just the sort of book I’d be into – and good writing is always a plus! Also, you’re not along in your thinking. I was very much thinking of The Goldfinch while reading reviews of this one!
July was a pretty good month for me. Everything I Never Told You is ringing a bell for me but I can’t quite place it. Will have to look it up.
my book club read the death of bees a few months ago and had soooo much to talk about! I can’t say that I loved it but it was good. I haven’t even heard of many of the books you’ve reviewed – it’s so hard to keep up with all the books being published 🙂
It’s always hard keeping up – especially in summer when everyone’s routines are disturbed.
Ooo, I’ve been wanting to read “The Death of Bees.” I recently finished “A God in Every Stone” and my review is actually up today!
and an interview with kamila Shamsie! Can’t wait to read it!
I loooooved ‘We Have Always Lived in the Castle’ … I must know how you feel about it, soon! 🙂
That’s a lot of great reading! Congrats on a terrific July!
I know August just started, but I think it’s going to be an even better month.
What a great month! And all those pretty and colorful covers. I have been meaning to read We Have Always Lived in the Castle forever!
Love the books you read this month! Pretty diverse too!
I try. But for me I no longer count south Asian lit as diverse since I read so much of it.